Denny’s Commitment to Animal Welfare
At Denny’s our commitment to serving quality food without sacrificing flavour or value is reflected in our sourcing and dedication to animal welfare. We strongly believe in running our business as responsibly as possible. Our suppliers are in accordance with the humane handling of animals. Denny’s offers our guests high quality ingredients including wild-caught sustainable salmon, hormone and steroid-free pork and poultry, and eggs meeting Egg Quality Assurance standards.
In 2016 Denny’s proudly announced its pledge to source and serve 100 percent cage-free eggs in all U.S. restaurants by 2026. We’ve been committed to quality food and a true diner experience for over 60 years and this is just another way of honoring that commitment.
Denny’s understands the issues surrounding the welfare of broilers in the supply chain and stands in support of the humane treatment of these animals. Denny’s has been a longtime proponent of humane stunning methodologies for all agricultural animals, including but not limited to chickens. As well, Denny’s goal is to accomplish the following for our supply chain by 2024:
- Transition to strains of birds that demonstrate higher welfare outcomes that meet the criteria of the RSPCA Broiler Breed Welfare Assessment Protocol or Global Animal Partnership (GAP).
- Reduce stocking density to a maximum of 6 lbs./sq. foot and prohibit broiler cages.
- Provide birds enriched environments including litter, lighting, and enrichment that meets GAP’s new standards.
- Process chickens in a manner that avoids pre-stun handling and instead utilizes a multi-step controlled atmosphere processing system that induces an irreversible stun.
- Demonstrate compliance with the above standards via third party auditing.